Saturday, November 1, 2008

So you guys from Windthorst will understand this. No one else will.




We signed Ava up this year for religion class at Immaculate Conception. I didn't think there would be much adjustment for her to attend this weekly Sunday class, considering she goes to school Monday through Friday. Can I just tell you taking her to religion class is a beating? She HATES going. She tells me she does not like the teachers, she does not like the kids...I have to bribe her with donuts every Sunday just to get her to walk into the classroom. Last Sunday she cried the entire time, 75 MINUTES..I don't blame her teachers for cringing every time they see us. They probably think Ava is the worst child born, and I am the worst mother to give birth.

When I grew up religion class was part of our daily routine in elementarty and junior high school. We had religion class Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 730-8am. I wish I could give Ava such a privelege. The only way to make that possible is to enroll her in the Immaculate Conception private school. Tuition is not that expensive, probably no more than any other Catholic private school in the metroplex--and quite frankly, the tuition per semester would be cheaper than what we pay for Primrose per semester. The problem is Immaculate Conception is not convienant. The trip is probably 20 miles out of my way every morning (at least) which calculates into about 45 minutes of traffic. And then another 20 miles out of the way in the afternoon...which could be an hour plus extra in traffic.

So, which is more important? Convience?? Or introducing my child to the Catholic faith? The answer is quite clear. Unfortunately my lack of patience on the interstate and my unwillingness to give up precious free time is clouding my judgements.

I have to find a way to make Ava enjoy Sunday school AND participate. Some have suggested teaching the class myself, but I can tell you that that is simply not a solution at this time. Others have suggested I move back to Windthorst for Ava's sake. Again, I can assure you, that will not happen.

So, I must ask myself: How important is it TO ME to make sure Ava has the best religious education? The answer: I have to send her to private school. There is no other way.

The next question is this: How will I possibly maintain self control on the interstate for an extra hour and a half each day? I can barely maintain self control now...

Pray for me..and Ava...but mostly me.

No comments: