Sunday, November 23, 2008

Yesterday

Don't you just love those new moms with fresh pink little babies who think they know EVERYTHING about how to raise a newborn? You know...that 20 something mom with all the newest, trendiest gadgets..all supposed to be the best for this little baby. The one who INSISTS to any warm body that is listening that diposable diapers are evil and cloth diapers are going to keep the ice caps from melting..(just joking..she didnt say that.) The new mom who insists that the latest blogger on her blog roll has more advice to give than her own mom and grandmother.

Meet my latest idiot "guest" yesterday. She had a newborn (3 days young) out in the 45 degree cold winds. This little baby was super cute all dressed in pink and brown, with a GIGANTIC pink bow the size of my head attached to her head, curled up all nice in her carseat. The mom of this cute little thing was one of those cute little things herself, in her designer jeans that were no bigger than a size 4 and her Louis Vutton purse the size of a volkswagon beattle. You know..the ones we all love to hate but secretly envy... She wore this really beautiful white coat as well, really nice...

Anyways, the mother and grandmother of the new mom were pushing the cart through hell (LNT as you know it) as the new mom was barking orders about how to push the cart with baby Maddie sitting inside. The cart was one of those annoying carts with a wheel that does its own thing, so I told the new mom I would go get another cart for her. This 20 something splinter of a girl thanked me and called me HONEY when I gave her the new cart. (Insert an UGHHH... and also a eye roll..)

Before I tell you any more, let me tell you that I was 5 days away from turning 30 years old when I had Ava. I was around little kids and babies my entire life. I practically raised Becky when she was a baby because I wouldn't put her down. So my mom says. But when I brought my own child home, I was hopeless. My mom stayed with me the first week Ava was home and my mom has been on call since then. So..I am NOT saying I am God's gift to mothers. No way...maybe my mom is...but not me...

Anyways, this new mom is having a very heated conversation with her maternal family members about what type of towel is best suited for little Maddie. Does Maddie need Egyptian cotton yarn with longer loops for silky rich texture, or the pure hand picked cotton that has extra long generous terry loops for faster drying? Or should we go with the celebrity towel that is made with Pima cotton? OH...such deliberation on towels... I was asked for my opinion...I spoke to the maternal grandparents when I answered. I told them the Rachel Ray towels were IMO overpriced and the colors were appauling... my preference is the Genesis...but if we are buying new towels for a newborn...just go with this everyday oxford ultra that is soft and absorbant and will withstand tough wear. I told them that I bought Ava oxford towels to use in her bathroom and I have all different kinds of towels in my bathroom. The new mom was insulted that I thought she would buy her precious Maddie cheap towels. She dismissed me. ("You're dismissed." is actually what she said.) I told her to buy whatever she wanted for the baby. It didnt make me any difference.

But before I walked away, I had to tell this new mom who knew everything that old moms and new moms like myself might question where her head is when she is fighting over towels, but has her 3 day old child out in 45 degree cold and wind with no socks, no shoes, no hat, NO BLANKET, BUT in a super cute sleeveless princess onsie with a pink and brown tutu. YES...that is what precious Maddie was wearing yesterday. Mom has on a beautiful white coat...Maddie has purple feet and a purple head that is clashing with her GIGANTIC pink bow.

(I wore a sweater at work all day because it is so cold in the building.)

Normally I would not say anything to a guest like this...but when you talk to me like a dog I bark back with harsh words.

If you are wondering what towels she bought, she got some white promotional towels that are crap. (Sorry, ALL SALES FINAL!) She got the white because she didn't want any dyes to irritate Maddie. BUT..she also bought a cinderella mutli colored dye infested towel wrap that has a "PRECIOUS!!!" princess crown on the head. Makes no sense.

The mom of the new mom actually thanked me on her way out for what I said. She said her daughter (the 20 something) threw a tantrum in the car on the way over because she did not want a blanket on Maddie that would possibly squash the tutu. She said my comments embarrassed her daughter...which was a blessing...because the older mom knew if she said anything to her daughter she wouldnt get the chance to see her granddaughter for a few months.

It's just another day in hell.

3 comments:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

That is hilarious! I am proud of you for saying something. That took some guts but she had treated you horribly already so who cares. I hate that it is cold now and it takes a suitcase to get out the door with all the gear I need for 2 kids but I always keep a blanket and hat (and now socks) in the car in case it is colder than I thought and Caroline needs them - even if they don't match.

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

Oh, and I hope Maddie had a blowout on her cute tutu.

Hughes Family said...

No kidding. What a moron mom!! I can't believe she didn't ALREADY have the towels purchased before the baby arrived. She probably didn't have a baby shower because she probably doesn't have any friends. No socks or shoes, no blanket?? I mean, who does that?

I agree with Christy, I hope the baby had a blow-out on the tutu!! :)